Saturday, June 5, 2010

Lemmings: My Childhood Joy

Remember Lemmings? Not the PS3 remake done by the brilliant Team17. The classic one. This one:


I used to love this game as a kid. I had a CD-ROM of Lemmings when I was a kid. I loved it, and it was probably the only game that I would play that wasn't edutainment. A classic, sold like hot cakes and spawned several sequels. In fact, that CD-ROM not only had Lemmings. It had the sequel, Oh No! More Lemmings! and Lemmings Paintball.

In case you don't know, Lemmings was a game where you had to tell a particularly dim group of creatures what to do in order to get from the beginning of the level to the end of the level.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get any of the puzzles, so I had to use walkthroughs. But it was still excellent and so was Oh No! More Lemmings!.


Oh No! More Lemmings was more of the same puzzling goodness. Which was good, because there's only so many times you can play a level.

Also, Lemmings Paintball was excellent.


Throwing away the original puzzle based job assigning task, the player now controlled one or more Lemmings (you could only control one at a time). Your goal was to get, once again, from the starting point to the end flag. But now, instead of the Lemmings being one united force together for an ultimate goal of freedom, there were enemy Lemmings. Garbed in red shirts, these villainous fools would shoot you on sight with their paintball guns. Fortunately, you also had a paintball gun. So, you had to blast your way through the enemies and get past what ever tricks, traps or trampolines (Yes, there were trampolines) to get to the end flag.

I just wanted to get nostalgic about Lemmings. Unfortunately, we'll never see another PC Lemmings game again, because Sony bought up Psygnosis. Which sucks. Oh well, guess I'll just have to download the games on Abandonia.

1 comment:

  1. So now there will be an appeal to get a PS3, and I thought that Psygnosis was owned by Microsoft.

    ReplyDelete